Arrive in Lisbon this afternoon and transfer to your boutique hotel in the historic center of the city. With its informal atmosphere, combining modernity and comfort, this property boasts great charm and impeccable service. Check in to your room and then meet your guide in the hotel lobby.
This afternoon, you will set out on a half-day tour of Lisbon’s major monuments. Begin with a drive to the Praça do Império, a large open space with gardens and statues between the River Tagus and the Jerónimos Monastery. Visit the Manueline-style cloister of the Jeronimos Monastery, which evokes the Age of Discovery and is one of the few monuments to have survived the Lisbon earthquake of 1755, as well as the Church of Santa Maria. You will also see the Tower of Belém and visit the Monument to the Discoveries.
To end your day, visit a typical Portuguese bakery to taste the famous “pasteis de Belem.” You will enjoy a guided tour of the kitchen to see how these delicious sweet pastries are made.
We will provide you with suggestions for dinner this evening.
Overnight Hotel Lisbon Plaza
Following breakfast at your hotel this morning, meet your guide and driver for a full day excursion to Sintra. Visit the medieval Sintra National Palace, a favorite summer residence of the Portuguese royal family for centuries. Later, you will have a chance to stroll through town, exploring shops along the charming streets.
Continue with a drive along the coast to the cosmopolitan seaside towns of Estoril and Cascais. Long regarded as a summer retreat for aristocrats and royalty, this region, known as the Estoril Coast, gained notoriety as a haven for the exiled royal families of Europe during World War II. Portugal’s neutrality created a welcoming environment for the nobles of Spain, Italy, Hungary and Bulgaria, as well as spies from both sides of the conflict.
Break for a lunch of local seafood at one of your guide's favorite restaurants on Guincho Beach, one of Europe’s best beaches for surfing as well as windsurfing and kiteboarding.
After lunch, time permitting, visit the gardens of Queluz Palace, known as the “Little Versailles,” en route back to Lisbon.
This evening, enjoy dinner and a traditional Fado show. Fado music is considered one of Portugal's national treasures. Soulful, melancholy songs about love, longing and the sea follow a recognizable and compelling Fado structure.
Overnight Hotel Lisbon Plaza
This morning, transfer to the airport by private car for your return flight, or continue on to the next part of your Willing Foot adventure.
*Price is subject to change due to date and time of year of booking as well as to currency fluctuation. The price is only an estimate at this time and an accurate costing will be provided when itineraries are chosen and submitted. Prices are based on double/twin occupancy.
- Accommodation: 2 nights
- Airport transfers
- All transfers by private car for scheduled visits
- 1 full day and 1 half-day professional guide services
- Entry fees for scheduled visits
- Fado performance (Exclusive of dinner)
- Days 2 & 3: Breakfast
- International and domestic airfare
- Airport entrance and exit fees
- Visa (if required)
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Items of a personal nature
- We recommend that our clients consult their General Practitioner or Travel Clinic for advice on necessary vaccinations or medicines depending on the region to which they are traveling.
- All guests are strongly advised to take out comprehensive travel insurance covering them for all personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses, cancellation, and curtailment.
- Self-driving passengers renting a car are required to carry a valid international driver's license.