This morning, fly into Durban (or East London), and collect your rental car for the four-hour drive to South Africa's Wild Coast. Rich forests, open grasslands, tidal estuaries, and deep ravines spotted with aloe groves are among the breathtaking sights that will greet you in this unspoiled landscape.
Arriving at the coast, you will leave your rental car at a nearby lodge, and a local guide will transfer you to Msikaba, the start of the trail. You have the option of hiking the trails on your own, with detailed maps and route descriptions, or hiring a local guide.
Drifters camps are hidden in the most remote and stunning locations along the coast, all offering twin-bedded, en-suite, tented units underneath thatch roofs, as well as a well-equipped central dinning and cooking area, with gas stoves and fridges provided. Your meals are fully-catered for the duration of the trip, with safe drinking water available at each camp.
Overnight Drifters Camps
Today, at your own pace, you will hike 16 km of fairly easy terrain to Luphutana, stopping to enjoy the attractions of the trail, swimming at remote beaches, having a picnic lunch at a crystal rock pool, and visiting Waterfall Bluff/Cathedral Rock.
Overnight Drifters Camps
Continue hiking at your own pace today. Fourteen kilometers along the lush Wild Coast brings you back to Mbotyi, where you will be transferred to the lodge.
Begin your evening with a glass of wine at the bar overlooking the Mbotyi beach and river mouth, after which you’ll head to the adjoining restaurant for a dinner of simple, local cuisine.
Overnight Mbotyi River Lodge
After a breakfast of fresh fruits, breads, and yogurt at your hotel, return to Durban, where you'll drop off your rental car and meet your departure flight. Return home today, or continue on to see more of South Africa.
*Price is subject to change due to date and time of year of booking as well as to currency fluctuation. The price is only an estimate at this time and an accurate costing will be provided when itineraries are chosen and submitted. Prices are based on double occupancy.
** Private guide is available upon request. Must be scheduled prior to departure and additional fees apply
- Accommodation, 1 night at Lodge
- Accommodation, 2 nights Drifter's Camps
- Rental car – Economy model, 4 days from Durban or East London
- Luggage transfer between camps
- Days 2-4: Breakfast
- Days 2 & 3: Lunch
- Days 1-3: Dinner
- International or Domestic Airfare
- Passport, visa, immigration fees
- Personal items, such as alcoholic beverages and laundry
- Baggage/accident/travel insurance
- We recommend that our clients consult their General Practitioner or Travel Clinic for advice on necessary vaccinations or medicines depending on the region to which they are traveling.
- All guests are strongly advised to take out comprehensive travel insurance covering them for all personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses, cancellation, and curtailment.
- Self-drive passengers renting a car are required to carry a valid international driver's license.