New Zealand: Queenstown: Winter Adventure
The winter season in Queenstown offers gorgeous alpine scenery, a great variety of skiing and snowboarding excursions as well as thrilling adventure activities.
Upon arrival in Queenstown, you will be met by your local guide and transferred by private vehicle to your boutique hotel, enjoying an adventure tour of Queenstown en route. Queenstown, set amidst spectacular Alpine scenery, presents many exciting outdoor adventure options, as well as the perfect setting to relax at the end of the day.
Your first stop is the Kawarau Bridge Bungy. Here you can take a leap or watch others jump off the bridge where it all began. A.J. Hackett, a New Zealander who became a worldwide cult hero after jumping off the Eiffel Tower on a bungy rope, was the first person to develop bungy jumping commercially. You will have the option to discover for yourself why this site is the most popular bungy spot in the world. The most daring jumpers have the opportunity to touch the crystal waters below.
Next you will visit the Shotover Jet, the World’s most exciting jet boat ride. This is a thrilling thirty-minute ride you will never forget! The Shotover Canyon wall towers overhead as your driver skillfully whips the boat past rocky outcrops, and skims over crags and boulders.
At the conclusion of your exciting afternoon, you will be transferred to your hotel for check in.
For dinner this evening, we recommend a fantastic waterfront restaurant and wine bar, located on the lakefront, which specializes in seafood and central Otago wines.
This morning you will be met by your local guide and transferred by private vehicle to a local ski mountain for a day of guided skiing.
Most of the ski/boarding terrain is between 1,400m and 2,200m (870 miles to 1,367 miles). These elevations are known to provide the best powder snow. In the areas where you will ski/board, average snowfall ranges from 2.5 m to 3.5m (8.2 ft to 11.4 ft ) per season. Since the area covers some 6,700 sq km (2,586 sq miles), from Glacier boarding to natural mountain bowl systems, snow levels and conditions can vary. Your expert guide will direct you to the best area for the day.
For dinner this evening we recommend a spot with al fresco dining overlooking the lake, and a private upstairs bar to relax into. Warming open fires throughout and their large climate controlled wine cellar will make it a versatile and entrancing evening out.
Note: Your guide will contact you the night before to discuss the chosen ski-field, snow conditions and departure time.
Today is at your leisure. You may choose to enjoy one of the following optional activities:
• Milford Sound Helicopter Excursion with Glacier Landing: Your flight sweeps through the Southern Alps, over the secluded alpine lakes and lush forest of Fiordland National Park. You will fly the full length of the fiord before reaching the rugged West Coast with several landings enroute where you may take a stroll on a glacier or black sand beach. You will enjoy a picnic lunch in a special location high in the mountains.
• Personalized Wine Tour: Visit the Gibbston Valley wine region where extreme conditions have led to pioneering winemaking, consistently superb wines, and worldwide recognition. Enjoy a wine cave tour and wine tasting following lunch at Amisfield Winery, the award winning winery known for its “Grown Not Made” philosophy.
• Snowmobiling: You will be met at your hotel and transferred to your helicopter. Fly from Queenstown to a remote and spellbinding world, landing at the base camp on the Old Woman Range. From here your professional guide will help familiarize you with snowmobile operation and also fit you with some special thermal snowmobile suits, gloves, boots and helmets. Then it’s off on your great adventure, with the vast landscape of snow and magnificent vistas producing a spectacular ride. Take in seldom seen views of the eastern side of The Remarkables, Nevis Valley, Garvie Mountain Range and the Polar Plateau region. This 1700m plateau can feel like the top of the world.
• The Queenstown Gondola and Skyline Luge: The scenery’s a blur! Hurtle along a winding downhill track through the trees. Race through the bends, or pull in for a rest and enjoy the panorama from one of the stopping bays. Fly down on the fast track, or cruise sedately down the scenic track, then hop on the chairlift and do it all again. Skyline Luge – 800 meters of fast-paced freedom where one ride down is never enough!
• Round of Golf at Jack’s Point: This 18 hole 72-par golf course is designed by John Darby, the designer of The Hills, Millbrook and Clearwater golf courses. Jacks Point is surrounded by the Remarkables mountain range and set on the shores of Lake Wakatipu. It traverses through wetland to the lake edge encountering steep bluffs, indigenous vegetation and wildlife. It is designed to work with nature, not against it. Fairways are designed with minimal excavation and careful plantings to complement the natural environment, but also to give the golfer a fighting chance. **
This evening we recommend dinner at a restaurant offering classic fine French food made using only the freshest ingredients.
This morning you will be collected from the hotel and transferred by private vehicle to Queenstown Airport for your departing flight, or continue onto your next Willing Foot destination.
This is just the beginning.
Get in touch to design your dream trip.